Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Horseshoe here !!!

Well, greedy you came in for a horseshoe and all you see is

" 13 13 13 Friday Friday Friday 13th 111 222 Friday 13 13 13 Friday "

Wellllllll...there is probably nothing wrong with Friday, the 13th or with the Nelsons or for that matter anything else and carrying a horseshoe in your pocket might not bring you any fortune or goodluck but might surely tear the seams of your pocket! But, superstitions surely bring in a zing to life. They can bring in variety to an otherwise mundane life :). I am quite superstitious myself, but only for the fun part..I surely shudder when a black cat crosses my path (especially when I am in my car) or when Tendulkar is on 111 ( Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be getting near 11 these days!). Infact, during some crucial world cup matches, I locked my sister in her bedroom because I had a feeling that if my sister commented on a cricketer (an Indian cricketer) while watching cricket, his time was due. He was out the next ball! Unfortunately, this happened quite a few times and my sister was restricted to solitary confinement quite a few times in our childhood. I am quite sure she is very glad that she is married :)...

Btw, I started thinking about all this when I read an article here in 'Star-Telegram'. The title said "Skyscraper curse strikes 3 companies". One of the three companies is the company I work for and I surely can vouch that the skyscrapper curse is true in our case. They have an interesting picture to illustrate it too! Skyscrapper came into being in 1999 when Deutsche Bank researcher Andrew Lawrence identified a link between the construction of the world's tallest buildings and the onset of an economic downturn :). The three companies I am talking about here are Sabre, Radioshack and Pier 1 Imports.

Sabre Holdings, RadioShack and Pier 1 Imports were hitting on all cylinders when they hatched plans to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build their corporate headquarters.
All hyped growth ambitions and the efficiency to be gained from new office configurations. They also said the right thing about not being distracted from their primary businesses.
That turned out to be wishful thinking. Each company's stock price and profits headed south not long after they moved into their new homes. Pier 1 and RadioShack are struggling so much today that they've become the subject of takeover talks.
BIG BUILDINGS CRASH BIG DREAMS!

There are quite a few other examples to the Skyscrapper curse -- EmpireState Building, Sears Tower, InterFirst Bank (the neon-lighted skyscrapper seen in the dallas skyline) are all standing tall with this curse...

Btw, I just heard there is one other curse. The curse of associating a company name to a sports facility spells doom for the company. AA, UA, WorldCom, US Airways are amongst many other companies that had to bear the brunt of this curse...Now, isn't life interesting :)

Hopefully, you guys are not cursing this post !!!!!! :D :D :D

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont believe in either superstitions or skyscraper curse. This is result of lack of accountability. People instead of finding out the flaws, try to give hell lot of reasons for their downfall. skyscrapers curse is comouflage of their poor performance.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Look what others are reading !! Courtesy : Digg.com

Intesting projects : Fun time :D