Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Saturday, May 06, 2006

2 minute wonder

Life always seems very short. When I look back at mine, I am quite amused to see I spent more than 30 years, around half the average lifespan of an Indian male almost doing nothing. That is how it seems when I look at the "bigger" picture.
On the flip side, I was just pondering about how much one could do/ one could accomplish by spending 2 minutes wisely.
Let us try to illustrate this using a hypothetical task, actually let's take a real one :). I wake up every day at 7 30 am and try to be at work by 9 am. My daily routine between these 2 hours includes brushing my teeth, making/drinking tea, the DAILY RITUAL, taking my bath, dressing up and driving to work. It takes me 30 minutes to get to work, so I have to start driving my car at 8 30 am. You can obviously see that 1 hour is a very short timespan to accommodate all my other tasks considering the fact that I HAVE to browse/check my e-mail for atleast 10 minutes out of this hour! I really had to cut corners, cut some sleep to really squeeze this in. This went on and on for a few months till one fine day, I decided to spend 2 minutes to think about this and then my life underwent a metamorphosis......Before you start speculating what happened in those 2 minutes..

I analysed my situation and realised one thing. I was spending atleast half an hour making tea and drinking it and saw it as the "big" bottleneck to better sleep and devised a plan to execute this task in parallel. Everyday, after I get up from bed, even before I open my eyes I go to our stove and start boiling our tea leaves. Then, I brush my teeth and shave during which the water on the stove has enuf of the tea leaves. I add milk to the concoction and then go about doing my MORNING RITUAL. By the time I am done, the tea is done and I am ready with a big cup in my hand. I can now have tea, read my morning journal, browse, do whatever in peace and one hour now sounds just too much.


Just two minutes spent wisely seems to have changed my life! I am in time to work and never late to meetings and that morning stress is gone. Extrapolating this to other aspects of life, I feel planning for just about anything in life is crucial. A simple plan can make a complex task look simple and what more can it can make you fulfill it with happiness. I am a happy man now, do you want to be one ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Look what others are reading !! Courtesy : Digg.com

Intesting projects : Fun time :D