Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, April 28, 2006

United in Diversity ?

Few countries in the world have such an ancient and diverse culture as India's. Stretching back in an unbroken sweep over 5000 years, India's culture has been enriched by successive waves of invasion and migration which were absorbed into the Indian way of life.

It is this variety which is a special hallmark of India. Its physical, religious and racial variety is as different as its linguistic diversity.

Modern India presents a picture of unity in diversity to which history provides no parallel. Good, great! Well, thats the best place to live in..atleast from what I said, it surely sounds like that. But, wait, we Indians are finding new ways of staying diverse and are unabashedly exhibiting it! If that's not enough, we have our politicians doing it for us. I don't know the educational qualifications of our politicians but their marketing arsenal seems to be pretty destructive. I majored in Marketing for my MBA and every class that I had taught me one thing.. "Create a need and then serve it!". Segmentation was the way to go! Well, our shameless politicians are following the book by the word. They surely are creating many segments in our population based on the "need" for new states, educational reservations, reservations in jobs, urban-rural divide and well they will come up with more (I must have missed some too). Was there a need? There wasn't any till these guys broke our tolerant mindset! And now, people cannot but stop thinking about this. Kudos to our politicians for being so successful!!!

As if all this was not enough, I saw something on TV that quite saddened me. We have a talent search competition called Indian Idol in India (similar to American Idol) and the winner this time was from "North-India". I never had this demarcation in my head but had to say this for the sad way that it ended this time. Karunya, the guy from South India inspite of obviously being much much more talented than Sandeep, the north-indian guy lost the show. In my wildest dreams, I wouldn't have dreamt that! But, people ruled otherwise. The percentage of people watching hindi programmes in South India is much lesser, but that shouldn't be a reason for the best talent losing. I had reports of Sandeep having better attitude and so winning the whole show, but from what I witnessed, I really didn't see much of a difference. Infact, when I heard him croon a few times, it reminded me of me and I am a very bad singer :). Poor Karunya had to forgo 1 crore, but that's just Karunya. If we do not find ways beating these thoughts and stay united as INDIANS, we are going to lose much much more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Look what others are reading !! Courtesy : Digg.com

Intesting projects : Fun time :D