Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Kumbhakarna wakes up

To those of you that don't know Kumbhakarna, Kumbhakarna is a very interesting character in the great Hindu epic Ramayana. He was the brother of Ravanasura (asura meaning a rakshasha, a demon). Being the brother of an asura, he was an asura himself, but that's not what made him interesting...he had this special lifestyle of sleeping for 6 months in a year on the stretch and eating for the next 6 months! That was his life :). I am sure it sounds interesting now...He was powerful and had was devoted to his brother (this eventually brought him down when he had to fight Lord Rama who was fighting against Ravana).

The name Kumbhakarna itself appears to be cleverly coined as karna means "ears" and kumbha means "pitcher". The name Kumbhakarna, therefore, is symbolic of man at the end of kaliyug, when his motive is to simply eat all day and sleep all night without any motivation or remembrance of God. It means that when God descends to impart the knowledge of the Gita, most people would be in the deep sleep of ignorance as illustrated by Kumbhakarna. The knowledge given will be heard with their ears, but they will not be able to imbibe and inculcate the same. The knowledge will reverberate as it did in the pitcher-like ears of Kumbhakarna and not be absorbed by those who receive this knowledge. Mythologies are good, every story has a deeper meaning associated with it..unfortunately not many (including me) have read them enough!

Anyways, back to my title...well, I called myself Kumbhakarna but am really not as bad as him....I had taken a "lonnnnnngggg" sabbatical from Blogging because I was trying to show more devotion towards my brother, my work...Food, I always love, don't eat for 6 months but sure do dream about it for that long :P...nyways I will cut down my devotion for my brother (Good excuse, huh!) and get back to the Blogging world..I really haven't been doing a lot of things that I would like to....high time I get back to this world..

Life always gets busy, but it's up to oneself to make it better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Look what others are reading !! Courtesy : Digg.com

Intesting projects : Fun time :D