Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, December 14, 2006

"Common" cold

"Atchoo..AAattchhooo!!" sneezed my manager. Me was passing by and after the customary "Bless you's", I asked her if she had a cold. She denied and said she had allergies. Frankly, the way I was brought up, anytime I sneezed, it was always a cold, atleast that is what I thought it was. Allergies were only for the skin or maybe the stomach. So, when I heard my manager say allergies, I was amused and thought .. "Ok, this is one more American thing maybe out of their paranoia, out of their indulgence with health". But, I was proved wrong eventually..

A couple of days back, I was trying to get rid of a few mildew spots in our bathroom here and out of brash ignorance/arrogance did all that with bare hands, sometimes going to the extreme of rubbing/scrapping some of it myself..I am the healthy one right...What would happen to me? After all, we had rolled in dirt as kids. We can almost take anything...But so wrong was I..A couple of hours after the 'clean', I had allergies, YES allergies. My nose was dripping like a stream, eyes had spokes in them and I was a little dizzy. I thought I was sick, the fever kinds and popped in a paracetemol in the night. Woke up the next morning with the same symptoms becoming worse, had tea and just for the heck of it started reading about "allergies". It was interesting to see how our human body generates histamines to battle against harmful intruders like mold, viruses and that allergies were sometimes due to their continual generation by our body under the assumption that the intruder was still active.

Now that I realized what it was, I went to Walgreens and bought some non-drowsy anti-histamine tablets and took one..Lo and Behold! my cold was gone..I mean my allergies vanished. It was really interesting to see how programmatic/mechanical our human body behaved. Just because the "intruder" flag was not set to false, histamines wouldn't stop. Set the intruder flag to false with a anti-histamine tablet and you are all set. Thank God, I know atleast now. I have been popping in Paracetomol for just about everything :D..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Look what others are reading !! Courtesy : Digg.com

Intesting projects : Fun time :D