Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

You get what you haven't paid for ...

My hair has been catching up with my height lately..not a very difficult task considering the fact that there is very little between the ground and my eyes, but still requires effort that can only be mentioned in months..well, quite a few months actually. I had been avoiding a haircut partly because I was busy or acting busy, partly because I was lazy and mostly because I had to cover a quite a few bald spots. One fine evening things changed ----

I opened my mailbox as I normally do and skimmed through the contents. I tore apart quite a few marketing/promotional mails voraciously (had a bad day@work) and then saw a small card that stood out like a cherry in a bowl of vanilla ice cream (hate vanilla ice-cream, feels so insipid!). $3 off on a hair-cut that was already priced cheaper than the rest. I frankly don't understand why hair-cutting salons charge that much here. Extremely disproportional to what they do. Well, only doctors can beat that here :) and of course a nails salon. My eyes light up when I see a deal and this deal really had my eyeballs. Ta da! I could finally have a haircut and pay reasonably for it. Couldn't refuse that !!

Seeing that this coupon would expire soon, I dragged myself to the salon today. I was going there with mixed feelings..happy because it was a deal and wary because I just couldn't trust this. But, USA is a land full of deals. You can buy the same thing here for 1c and $1. Right day, right time and you might even get it free here! At least, that is how I convinced myself and dragged myself to the salon.


Finally, I was there .... I was greeted by a guy with a long pony-tail who seemed to have taken a bath at least a couple of days back. He had a wicked stubble, but his smile was gentler. I greeted him and proceeded to the desk. To my surprise, he said that he was in-charge and asked me if I wanted a "trim?"..trim my hair? Was surely shocked noticing the fact that my hair was going to be ravaged by a savage looking person. He was an antithesis to a barber, who in my opinion should look a lot more prim and proper. Imagine a plumber coming into your house with a blazer and tie. That is how this was! I could have controlled my greed and got out of the salon, but for this guy whom I really didn't want to annoy. I had given up even before the massacre started.

I wanted a clipper 3 on the sides and back, but needed my hair to stay a little longer onto the front to cover my broad forehead :). This guy ripped through my hair and cut it in all directions in whatever way he could. He showed me an initial version and asked me if I was happy. I was shell shocked. Gathering up all my courage, I asked him to cut my hair in a few other directions and make it even. He did that and the end-product was still not satisfactory. After a few iterations and a few feedback sessions, my mane was cut very short and it finally was in some reasonable shape(there was hardly much left, so was easy!). I paid this guy and then vowed to myself that I would never run after deals, at least for things that would have a long-lasting effect.

I got what I hadn't paid for, a bad haircut that shocked my wife. Now I know why people pay that much to get a hair cut. A lesson well learnt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Look what others are reading !! Courtesy : Digg.com

Intesting projects : Fun time :D